Catholic Schools NSW (CSNSW) is the approved funding authority supporting the implementation of Australian and NSW Government funded programs designed to improve Vocational Education and Training outcomes for Secondary Students.
- coordinates Vocational Education teacher training programs on behalf of the Catholic sector
- liaises with
- Catholic school systems
- Department of Education Schools Directorate
- NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- ITABS (Industry)
- TAFE NSW
to support planning for and delivery of Vocational Education and Training for NSW Catholic school students.
The VET Teacher Training Program
To assist Diocesan RTOs ensure compliance with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s) 2015, CSNSW in collaboration with AIS and DoE conducts training for teachers commencing delivery of VET courses or maintaining currency of VET qualifications. Training occurs each semester and entry is limited to teachers who meet required benchmarks. Final decisions for all applications will be made by the Application Review Committee Panel (ARC), a cross sectoral committee responsible for maintaining standards and reviewing all applications for entry into training.
The following outlines the requirements and process. Please note advertised timelines are strict. (HINT: right-click links to open in a new tab)
- Teacher Training Program Calendar
- Check your school and personal availability for all components of required training.
- This timetable will be updated as training is confirmed. Please check regularly.
- Check you meet minimum benchmarks for required VTT entry eligibility
- The following programs require additional evidence which must be submitted when applying for VTT: (NOTE: first download to fill)
- Application Form – must be submitted by due date: 5 February 2024
- Combine all your documents into a single PDF:
- teaching degree and transcript
- industry qualifications and transcripts or evidence of recent relevant experience, and
- if applicable, the above additional form with required evidence
- Complete the electronic form linked above, uploading your documents as one PDF. [for how, see https://www.wikihow.com/Merge-PDF-Files]
- Combine all your documents into a single PDF:
- Approval Process
- Diocesan RTO: reviews application, accepts or requests more information.
- College Principal: approves your engagement in the program, noting dates and associated costs as applicable. (Due: 12 February 2024)
- CSNSW: reviews application, accepts or requests more information.
- All applications uploaded to cross-sectoral portal for ARC (Due: 16 Feb 24).
- Application Review Committee (ARC)
- Applications are forwarded to the RTO providing the training, prior to meeting with the three sectors. You may still be asked for more information.
- The outcome:
- Accepted – you will receive notification from CSNSW that you have been accepted into the training program.
- Declined – you will receive notification from CSNSW. Your Diocesan VET RTO Manager will discuss options with you and your school.
- Undertake Training
- Acknowledge and accept all required training components, knowing you’re available for all components (check both personal & school calendars).
- There will be additional charges where candidates need to re-engage in training for subsequent semesters due to non-completion.
Work Placement/Work Experience Insurance for 2023
Three separate policies provide work experience/placement cover for students, schools and employers involved in Work Experience and Work Placement activities.
- School’s Student Accident and Disability Insurance Policy. Each Diocesan Catholic Schools Authority and Congregational school purchase these policies independently.
- Employer’s Indemnity Insurance with Ascot Group as Lead insurer. CSNSW manages this policy on behalf of Diocesan Offices and RI/MPJP subscribers. See link for terms and conditions of insurance cover, including activities that are excluded or require special approval during work placement.
- Professional Indemnity cover for Healthcare Assistants with Vero Insurance Limited. CSNSW manages this policy on behalf of Diocesan Offices and RI/MPJP subscribers. The VERO Certificate of Currency for Professional Indemnity cover applies until 31 March 2024.
- Student Placement Record (SPR) – fillable / print
- Special Approvals applications:
- Additional Applications
- Student Safety Emergency Card: print
- Work Placement Visit Report: fillable / print
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT)
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT) provide students with the opportunity to attain a nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification as well as their Higher School Certificate (HSC) whilst also gaining valuable work skills and experience through paid employment.
The SBAT Guidelines set out the requirements for the implementation of school based apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW. The School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships webpage hosted by the Department of Education provides valuable information for schools, students and parents. This includes:
- 2023 WorldSkills: CSNSW Success at National Championships in Melbourne
- CSNSW Career Advisers Awarded at the (CAA) Annual Conference
- CSNSW finalists in NSW Training Regional Awards
- CSNSW finalists and winner at NSW Training State Awards
- CSNSW winners Australian Training Awards 2023
(Links coming soon.)
VET Diocesan Contacts
Catholic School Office, Diocese of Armidale
Armidale NSW 2350
Catholic Education Diocese of Bathurst
Bathurst NSW 2795
Catholic Schools Broken Bay
Pennant Hills NSW 1715
Catholic Education, Archdiocese of Canberra & Goulburn
Manuka ACT 2603
Diocese of Lismore Catholic Schools Limited
Lismore NSW 2480
Catholic Schools Office, Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle
Newcastle NSW 2300
Catholic Schools Parramatta Diocese
North Parramatta NSW 1750
Sydney Catholic Schools
World Square NSW 2002
Catholic Education Diocese of Wagga Wagga
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Catholic Education Office Diocese of Wollongong
Wollongong NSW 2500